The now St. Mary’s Band Hall on Pound Street was built in 1775 as a Roman Catholic church replacing the old church in Laraghbryan. The church came with a parish priest house attached. In 1840 a new church was built and completed across from the Mill Centre Shopping Centre. The old church then became the Boys’ National School with the attached house as the headmaster’s home. Edward J. Browne and John Patrick Keys were the last two teachers in the old school in Pound Street.
In 1943 a new purpose built 2 room boys’ school was built across from the parish priest house on the Moyglare Road. With a new school came a new principal, Mr Frank Walsh from Tuam, Co Galway.
In the late fifties the school opened as a lay ‘Secondary Top’, which meant that pupils could continue right through to Leaving Certificate. This continued until 1971.
In 1976 the school increased from five to sixteen classrooms to coincide with the rapid development of the town.
A further extension was built in 2010 and now we look forward to a purpose built three storey school to open in 2022.